Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Love [Part 2]

Continued from the previous post...

My father fell ill and died, and poor mother had to take role as the bread winner of the family. She held on her job but our financial situation got worse.

A nice uncle who lived nearby came to our help. Our neighbors often advised my mother to marry again. But mother was stubborn and didn't care for advice.

She told them, "I don't need love."

This was her fifth lie.

I completed my studies and got a job and soon, it was time for my mother to retire. But she didn't want to. Every morning, she headed to the market-place to sell some vegetables and earn money for her needs.

I worked in the other city and often sent her money, but she would not accept it. She even sent the money back to me, saying, "I have enough money."

This was mother's sixth lie.

A company then offered me a scholarship to do my master's at a prestigious university in the United States. After getting the degree, I was hired by the company and was paid quite a high salary.

I wanted to take mother back to America, so she could enjoy her old age. But she didn't want to bother her son. She said to me, "I'm not used to the life there."

This was mother's seventh lie.

Mother grew old, got cancer and had to be hospitalized. I, who lived across the oceans, came home to visit her.

Mother looked so weak as she gazed at me in a yearning way. She tried to smile but it looked stiff. It was clear that the disease had broken her body.

Tears flowed from my face as I stared at her. But mother, with strength in her voice, said, "Don't cry, my son. I'm not in pain."

That was her eighth lie.

After she said that, she closed her eyes, and those eyes never opened again.

Treasure your mother while you still can. Show to her that you love her, in little little ways although sometimes you may have misunderstandings with her.Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: